Anika is 6 months today. I feel so elated and grateful. She is everything and more than what I had prayed for. I am so grateful for these wonderful 6 months, where has settled in well and has been so healthy too. Months seem to be passing by faster and faster. Everyday, I am grateful for this little girl and the joy she brings to me. The happiest thing for me about this month was that she is napping heaps more in bed (about 50% bed and 50% carrier, which is huge) and also that she is happy to be in the car seat now. The hardest thing about this month has been the huge amount of clean up required after every meal 🙂 Here are some observations at 5 months.
- I have used the word “come come…” before picking her up from birth. Now she understands this word (and few more) and extends her arms when I say it.
- She also extends her arms when she wants to be picked up.
- Anika is constantly finding new ways to communicate. She often ‘head bangs’ when she wants to entertain/ make us laugh.
- Extends forward when she wants to touch something. Flexes back when does not want it.
- Laughs out loud when she finds something funny or when we kiss her.
- Her babbles sound more like language. My favorite word of the month is ‘gugu’.
- She is constantly testing her pitch. Loves making loud voices.
- Can sit unaided for 5 minutes at a time. I only propped her to sit once at the start of 5 months but it didn’t feel right, so I never did it again. Last week, I let her sit on bed and was surprised to see how long she could balance for.
- She does not need the harness in her high chair anymore. She sits upright very well.
- She has started lifting up on her arms during tummy time.
- Rolls smoothly from tummy to back on both sides. Still figuring out the other way.
- Does not like being physically constrained at all. High chairs or car seat. Although we have made a HUGE progress with car seats recently.
- Puts her toes in her mouth.
- She can do a 360 degree turn when we play our movement game. She can push with both her feet, while on her back to go upward.
- Tries to take the balloons out of the books and mole from my skin ;-D
- Towards the end of 5 months, she has started attempting to feed herself. She gets annoyed when the banana slips off her finger and absolutely loves holding her broccoli (like a flower) and munching on it. She gets annoyed if I feed her! Miss independent 🙂
- Loves tapping with her legs and hands on different surfaces to hear the sound.
- Loves lifting things to see what’s under.
- Fascinated with labels and zips.
- Particularly loves lift a flap books.
- Stares at light bulbs and loves when I dim and then brighten our bed lamp.
- She is settling so well and has actually started enjoying other people, babies and new places. We have started going to markets, library, supermarkets and lots more play dates.
- Loves putting her hands in my mouth while she is feeding.
- She is obsessed with finding the source of sound. It helps her understand how the world works.
- Her 3 most favorite things are brushing her teeth, trying to flush the toilet and she loves to play with the (computer) mouse. It tells me that babies learn by imitating.
- Likes routines and familiarity, ex- same books.
- Has gained a good understanding of ’cause and effect’ in the home environment. We do water play in the sink after breakfast and she loves to take the plug off to see the water disappear.
- Loves playing peekaboo by herself.
- Can take a scarf away from her eyes and face.
That’s all I can think of. I look forward to lots more months and years of observing my child. Being able to do it so closely and consistently, it almost feels like a miracle is unfolding- so special!